Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and braille

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and braille
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:44:40 -0400 (EDT)

One thing I'd add to Lloid's long description of braille sisplays is that
there is now software for them that works with Windows as well as DOS.
I know a blind programmer in CA that uses Windows with speech and braille.
A totally blind person uses windows by memorizing the alt commands, so as
to avoid using the mouse.
For low vision users using screen magnification (such as myself), depending
on the screen mag software being used, there is a mechaism for for coordinating
mouse operations between the mag software and Windows.
But to use it (I find) is very awkward.  I have it installed, but
still have been going back to my DOS applications and avoiding the GUI stuff.

Which leads to the topic of Windows based web browsers.
I have been exchanging mail with a number of other
blind users on the internet and have discovered that many of them
are using Netscape and MSIE successfully (contrary to the general perception
that lynx is the ONLY alternative).  Most of them say that lynx is much easier
to use ("if it would work"), but the other browsers are doable.

Thought I'd pass it along.
--le

;
;