RE: LYNX-DEV Using Pine as SYSTEM-MAIL

From: Andy Harper
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV Using Pine as SYSTEM-MAIL
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:48:53 BST

>       Our server hasn't mail-to-outside service, so we can't use the
>       system 'mail' command to do this.
>       However,we can use Pine, as Pine uses another server to make the
>       mail operation, but Pine command-line sintax is not like /bin/mail
>       one.

   PINE is not a mail transfer agent but it is a mail user agent with a limited
   ability to send smtp mail out to another (fixed) host. That remote host is
   assumed to be intelligent and do the approrpaite mail routing for you.

>       I know that the changes have to be made to LYMail.c file, but I
>       think that's a bit difficult for me, as the file is a little complex.
>       Please, tell me the basic changes to do to this file, in order
>       to use the mailto: from lynx.

   I dont think that lynx can currently be made to this since it appears to
   work by 'calling' sendmail. You can't 'call' pine in the same way.

   You have two options:

     * Since you must have a network connection capable of supporting SMTP in
       order for your PINE to work, why not configure a basic 'sendmail'
       function to the same host. That way, you can use the existing LYNX
       methods to send mail.

     * Modify LYNX code so that, rather than using an existing mail transfer
       agent like sendmail, it performs the SMTP protocol itself. Non-trivial
       but it would be quite a useful feature for those without sendmail or
       other netmail mail transports.

Regards,

Andy Harper
Kings College london