LYNX-DEV Re: Web-readable list archives

From: Daniel Dardailler
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 14:33:14 +0200

> List subscribers, if you are interested in how our laundry looks or
> sounds in public, please take a minute to compare/contrast the
> above installation with the prototype at
>
>   http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/dev-access/1/

BTW, this link seems broken by now.

> One difference that may not be obvious has to do with the
> follow-up links in the prototype at my site.  This is part of a
> campaign I am on to get the work processes of the Web Access
> Initiative modified to make them more welcoming to internet users
> who move in the slow lane.
>
> With extended mailto: URLs such as I show in the prototype, and
> Lynx or Netscape as your browser, or any others that have
> implemented the Internet Draft redefining the mailto: URL syntax,
> you can be a full participant in the group discussion without
> subjecting yourself to a firehose of list email in your inbox.

OK, I liked the mailto extension proposal too
(http://www.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-mailto-url-01.txt)
but I think authors using these extensions should be made aware of the
incompatibility with browsers that do not support them.

In other word a mailto:address@hidden:foo will either produce an
error on the browser side or later bounce if my browser doesn't parse
the ?header part correctly.

As a rule of thumb, it is a good idea to always provide a separate
"simple* mailto URL as well (much like before the time mailto itself
was supported widely, people were asked to provide FORM alternative of
mailto URL)

;
;