Re: LYNX-DEV Protected text entry fields?

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Protected text entry fields?
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 11:03:43 -0400

From: Rob Perelman <address@hidden>
> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
>
> >   From: Rob Perelman <address@hidden>
> >
> >   A colleage of mine was trying to use a web page but was getting the
> >   message 'UNMODIFIABLE form text field.' in the status bar for the page
> >   looked at the HTML and cannot understand why this is -- any ideas?
> >
> > Did you try validating the page?
>
> What do you mean by validating the page?  As in checking the HTML?  I
> know that the HTML code is horrible, but I would like to nail down
> exactly why the error is occuring.

"Validating the page" means running one of the several programs available
both on and off the internet to inform you when there is syntactical
problems in the page.  Just as submitting invalid C code to a C compiler
results in either error msgs and no output or unexpected behavior in the
program (depending on the type of error), asking lynx to interprete invalid
HTML can result either in lynx generating an error when attempting to display
a page or in a user finding unexpected behavior on such a page.
;