LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 5

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 5
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:23:28 -0400 (EDT)

   Matthew Kelly <address@hidden> writes:
>Does it
>produce a proper executable for your OS?
   What do you mean by a "proper" executable? One that doesn't produce a
"Segmentation fault" message when run, or one that uses all capabilities of
the target OS? If you read my last message carefully enough, you'll see
that Lynx compiled using the old, (IMHO) broken BSDI target doesn't use
some of the available capabilities, while one compiled using my 4.4BSD
target does.
   But really I think it was a mistake for me to mention BSD at all... Now
the issue is not BSD purity, but the support for the traditional Makefile
in the first place, whether BSD or not. I know that many people would
appreciate the autoconfigure mechanism, but just as many would be
disappointed by the loss of the traditional Makefile. Please understand
that this applies not only to BSD fans, but to everyone who considers
himself/herself a UNIX guru, no matter whether on BSD, Linux, or System V.
   Let's face it. A person who knows everything about his OS, no matter
what that OS is, knows EXACTLY what compilation options to use. Such a
person would like to review and possibly modify these options himself,
rather than solicit help from his uncle or an autoconfiguration script. The
FreeBSD handbook says that manual configuration involves "lots of questions
that sound like a final exam in system-level Unix programming . . ." But
the overlooked fact is that some of us CAN get an A on that exam.
   Another issue is that the Makefile produced by the autoconfigure script
still has targets for different OSes. I have seen targets for BSDI,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, but not for 4.4 BSD UNIX. If you are such a
supporter of the authoconfigure mechanism, then please tell me how do I go
about compiling Lynx under the plain 4.4 BSD UNIX using your magic script.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 216-646-1864
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden