LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 7

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: LYNX-DEV BSD makefile support 7
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:20:10 -0400 (EDT)

   Bela Lubkin <address@hidden> writes:
>"pure BSD" won't boot on your system or much of anything else.  By the
>time it's running well enough to do things like compile Lynx, you're
>going to have made a large number of changes to make it work.
   Not completely true. If you get a complete distribution, rather than a
"lite" one (which I think I'll manage to do), you can compile it without
any trouble by running "make build" in /usr/src and building the kernel
with config(8). Yes, I know that binary distributions are made only for
HP300/9000, SPARC (limited support), and DECstation, but not for i386.
However, the i386 architecture IS supported in the source. I guess I would
have to install FreeBSD temporarily first to build the initial 4.4BSD
system.
   As for the changes I'll have to make in the process, they won't exceed a
couple dozen lines in a system that weighs several hundred meg. The changes
introduced in FreeBSD or NetBSD are at least two orders of magnitude
greater.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 216-646-1864