Re: LYNX-DEV https/ssl question

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV https/ssl question
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 02:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:35:33 -0400
> From: address@hidden
> It is why I don't post updates directly to the net.  It is now EAR out of
> the commerce department, but the rules haven't really changed.  Even if I
> tweak eassl to link locally, it isn't going to be posted unless something
> happens.
> Along with that, anything with "hooks" to crypto is considered the same as
> crypto (which is where my proxies and Fote's overlay come in).
>
> Placing anything on a public FTP site (that doesn't verify return site and
> do things like rotate directories) is equivalent to exporting.

So I suppose posting the location of the rotating hidden directory is also
exporting?  or posting fixes to or experiences with your code or the SSLeay
stuff? ...
Also, how do you check the geographic location of an address, besides looking at
the home page of an ISP or business, which doesn't really tell you much?  How do
you know the location of someone sending you private email?
(Apparently .com is international, so you can't tell by looking at the domain
name.)

> Public Domain code appears to be exempt, but is in a different part of the
> regulations.  Hardcopy appears to be exempt (if it is not barcode, but
> readable).  But this is more contradictory language (page X says crypto is
> not exportable, but Y says PD is exportable).

So crypto is considered public domain?  (dumb question...?)

Just clarifying things before jumping into something I may not want to
bother with.  Apparently people are working on it in spite of the regs.
--le

;
;