Re: LYNX-DEV Re: formatting funny (<pre> in <li>)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: formatting funny (<pre> in <li>)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:48:28 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>I am certainly no expert, but with <PRE> you are telling the browser that you
>have _already_ formatted the data, and so just display it. Should not that
>override most of the formatting that the browser would normally do?

        The DTDs allow virtually any BODY elements in LI blocks, i.e.,
as long as you have them following an LI, not as elements in the UL
or OL blocks themselves, that's valid as far as the DTD is concerned,
and the markup will validate.

        DTDs do not specify what a user agent should do with the elements
it defines.  So there's no "right" or "wrong" in what Lynx is doing for UL
and OL blocks, and for the content of their LI elements.

        What Lynx is doing, is assigning progressively greater left margins
for the first and then subsequently nested list elements, not drawing any
distinctions between UL and OL blocks for the nesting (so you can switch
bewteen bullets versus Arabic numbers, Roman numeral, and upper- or lower-
case letters for different depths in the nest.

        For the block elements that I have assigned to the "tag and
attribute soup group", they inherit the left margin for the current
depth in the list nest.  PRE is not in that group, and thus always
has the left margin assigned to it in DefaultStyle.c.  It could be
made to inherit the left margin of the current depth in the list nest,
via appropriate hacking in HTML.c.

                                Fote