Re: LYNX-DEV weird crashes

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV weird crashes
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 23:51:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Well, OK, but on VMS if it had been recovered by the system,
> it would crash when you checked whether it was NULL (in effect, has
> value 0x00), so you'd be dead before the LYno_attr_char_case_strstr()
> call.

I am surprised.  That means that (without that other fix) the first two
tests in my

        if ((links[i].form != NULL && links[i].type == WWW_FORM_LINK_TYPE &&
             links[i].form->value != NULL) &&
            links[i].form->type != F_HIDDEN_TYPE) {
            if (links[i].form->type == F_PASSWORD_TYPE) {

would have to be reversed, in order to guarantee that no crash occurs,
right?  (assuming that once-allocated addresses can become out-of-memory-
space again.)

> That's why I was asking whether on Unix you can check values
> outside your current process-allocated memory space and not crash
> (there may other bad logic in Lynx, if so).

A pointer is just a value like any other, a number if you will, no special
machine instructions are generated for checking "if this would be used as
an address to access memory, what would happen?".  AFAIK.
If that is different on some systems, there very likely is "bad logic"
code improperly depending on it, probably also from me... (like the
above).

   Klaus

;
;