Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.netbuyer.com

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.netbuyer.com
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:37:26 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  From: Roger Hill <address@hidden>
>  Subject: LYNX-DEV http://www.netbuyer.com
>
>  Gives me a blank screen every time, and \ does too.
>
>Something in your Lynx setup must not like the way they are doing
>the redirect.  What I get is the following kiss-off.
>
>Probably the usual user-agent filtering.

        No.  The server is returning a 200 ("OK", i.e., document
follows) status, but then a Location: header and no body.  If it
intends redirection, it should return a 301, 302 or 303 status,
and it should still have a body saying something about the
redirection, and an actual link for the new location.  It's an
"extensible" Apache server, which someone has mangled rather
than extended.

        When you get a blank page, the first thing you should do
is look at the source, as Roger did, to see if it has an invalid
comment of the sort Lynx can deal with in minimal or historical
mode.  Otherwise, reload (Control-R) with trace on (Control-T),
or send a head request (']') to see what headers the server is
sending.  These should be "reflex" Step 1, Step 2 behaviors for
veteran Lynx users.

                                Fote