Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:01:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >This particular binary was built with gcc using the snake target on HP-UX
> >9.07 and the standard curses package.  I'm having problems getting the
> >vanilla code to even compile on 10.20 with gcc (snake3 works).  If I try
> >^Z when I first start up lynx, it doesn't work.  When I do a ^L, the
> >cursor is moved to the top left corner of the screen, and nothing is
> >displayed.  Hitting 'q' followed by a return or 'Q' or any other
> >recognized way of quitting lynx does what it is supposed to do, so it
> >would imply a display problem to me...
> >
> >Is there anything I can do to help track down this problem?
>
>       You can try turning on TRACE before the ^Z.  The TRACE messages
> use fprintf's to stderr, not screen management via curses or slang
> (intentionally), and might include information which helps.  The
> suspend, itself, has failed, or Lynx wouldn't be responding to your
> keyboard input, but the additional question is why isn't it a clean
> failure.  Since you're using fotemods with the Trace Log output as
> the default, after the ^Z press ';'.  If that's not displayed either,
> 'q'uit and look at ~/Lynx.trace directly.

Some more ideas:
1. Do the system header files define SIGTSTP at all?
   (an unlikely idea that they might not, but it doesn't hurt to check.)

2. Make sure you are running Lynx directly from an interactive shell,
   not via some shell script.

3. You have checked your stty settings, right?

4. Any dependence on $TERM?  (In case ther are several types that might
   apply)

5. Does it work with slang?

6. Use a debugger...

     Klaus