Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 20:52:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Some more ideas:
> 1. Do the system header files define SIGTSTP at all?
>    (an unlikely idea that they might not, but it doesn't hurt to check.)

Yup...

 signal(5)                                                         signal(5)

 NAME
      signal.h - signals

 SYNOPSIS
      #include <signal.h>

 DESCRIPTION
      The following signals are supported on all implementations (default
      actions are explained below the table):

      Signal      Action    Description

      SIGTSTP     iv        Terminal stop signal.

      The default actions are as follows:

           iv        Stop the process.

> 2. Make sure you are running Lynx directly from an interactive shell,
>    not via some shell script.

I normally run it from a shell script which uses the output of uname to
determine the correct binary to use.  After a recent discussion about
different behavior when running from shell scripts, I tried it directly
with no change in behavior.

> 3. You have checked your stty settings, right?

What specifically should I be looking for.  Suspend is ^Z.  The only real
modifications I've made to stty are to turn off tostop so that I could get
output from background processes.  Here is the output of stty -a:

speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
rows = 0; columns = 0
min = 4; time = 255;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = DEL; kill = ^U
eof = ^D; eol <undef>; eol2 <undef>; swtch = ^Z
stop = ^S; start = ^Q; susp = ^Z; dsusp = ^Y
werase <undef>; lnext <undef>
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb hupcl -cread -clocal -loblk -crts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany ixoff -imaxbel -rtsxoff -ctsxon -ienqak
isig icanon iexten -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-echoctl -echoprt -echoke -flusho -pendin
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -tostop

> 4. Any dependence on $TERM?  (In case ther are several types that might
>    apply)

I've tried everything from VT100 to VT4xx something.  I haven't really
messed much with it, but I suspect this is NOT it.

> 5. Does it work with slang?

Haven't tried slang in a while.  It's a pain to have to recompile clang
everytime I want to recompile lynx.

> 6. Use a debugger...

Sigh, I have to rebuild my binaries since I normally strip them...