Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/386 and problem with compressed files..

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/386 and problem with compressed files..
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 23:51:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On Thu, 15 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >
> >>    I've never used gunzip on anything but VMS and Unix, but I
> >> just looked at it's DOC file, and it says that for MSDOS/WIN/NT the
> >> default suffix is 'z'.  So, where the for-VMS code is setting 'gz'
> >> in HTFWriter.c, you want to make it 'z', and where it's making the
> >> suffix .txt- or .html- or .bin- you want to make it .tx or .ht or
> >> .bi, so it ends up 8.2z.
> >
> >Yes I have been there, I just haven't figured out why doing that sets lynx
> >to copy the file in text mode rather than binary mode.  This cuts off the
> >file at the first eof(?) char when it should wait till the actual end.
>
>       Try adding your extensions to the ".gz and friends" suffix maps
> in HTInit.c:
>
> [...]
>     HTSetSuffix(".gz",                "application/GNU Compressed", "binary",
> 1.0);
>     HTSetSuffix(".htz",               "application/GNU Compressed", "binary",
> 1.0);
>     HTSetSuffix(".txz",               "application/GNU Compressed", "binary",
> 1.0);
>     HTSetSuffix(".biz",               "application/GNU Compressed", "binary",
> 1.0);
> [...]

I am giving up.  I will try to write a gzip wrapper for dos people
instead.  Even after setting that (above) it still copies the local
original to the temp area as text and gives up at the first eof.  I am
just not with it enough right now to snake through the code.  If anyone
else wants to take a crack at it they are welcome to.

Thats what I get for giving up smoking I guess.  That and the fact that I
can't get any quality time alone with my compiler :-(  It is 11:30 PM and
my wife and daughter are still up and determined to break my
concentration.

*Sigh*
Wayne

;