Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 20:04:30 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> * Modified the Lynx Trace Log handling so that it doesn't use actual
>>   redirection of stderr via freopen() calls, and restores the original
>>   value of stderr during any escape to shell.  This avoids the problem
>>   on Unix that sh and ksh send their prompt strings to stderr, and that
>>   bash sends both its prompt and command line echo to stderr, so they
>>   end up in the log instead of being visible.  I had tested the initial
>>   design on VMS and with csh on Unix, and thus didn't notice this
>>   foolishness for the other Unix shells.  Anyway, it's OK for all of
>>   them now. - FM
>
>Is there any way to place the Lynx.trace file in a directory other than in
>the home directory?

        No.

>                       Does it honor LYNX_SAVE_SPACE or any other
>environment variables?

        No, and no.

>                       I didn't see any command line or lynx.cfg settings
>for the location.  I was hoping it was the current directory, but no go.
>I've exceded my quota a couple of times trying to do a trace, and wound up
>having to do the old redirection thing (via -tlog) with sh do get a log in
>/tmp.

        You don't want it in /tmp, because nothing is being done to
distinguish the logs for difference processes.  TRACE mode is not
something you want on indescriminately.  You should turn it on when
you have a reason for it, and then turn it off.  You're pointlessly
wasting overhead and slowing down Lynx, otherwise.

                                Fote