LYNX-DEV compiling the developmental version on HP

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: LYNX-DEV compiling the developmental version on HP
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 02:08:36 -0500 (CDT)

Ok, here's the situation.  Our main system just got upgraded from HP-UX
10.01 to 10.20 but gcc has not been updated yet, so I can't compile with
gcc.  I've had no luck compiling with HP's purchased compiler either.
I've tried the following:

setenv CC cc
        ALMOST works - configure determnes that 10.20 supports color, but
        the build stops in LYCurses.c with complaints about COLOR_* (RED,
        etc.) not defined.  I looked at /usr/include/curses.h, and they
        are indeed defined, although wrapped in some ifdefs.
setenv CC CC
        HP's C++ macros - basically should compile ANSI C... barf!
setenv CC 'cc -Aa'
        set cc to ANSI mode - barf!
setenv CC 'cc -Ae'
        set cc to extended ANSI mode - same results as the first one:
        ALMOST

Any ideas on whether it is possible to compile with HP's compiler?  Should
I try using the snake3 target instead of the generic target?

Also, I remember someone posting a message about using color with HP-UX's
9.0x curses by just asking for color.  I tried that (using gcc) on another
machine running 9.07, and got similar complaints in LYCurses.c as
mentioned on the other machine (not as surprising in this case, though).
I can't seem to ind the original message regarding this however.  Any
ideas?