LYNX-DEV lynx and blind users

From: Rick Lewis
Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx and blind users
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:38:18 -0700 (MST)

Hi, All,
i tend to respectfully disagree with Lloyd Rasmussen's numbers
estimate, although there's no way to get a totally accurate picture.
While the active discussion lists contain  several hundred people,
my observation is that for every  one on the list, there are several
who don't have  time for, or don't know of, blindness-related mailing
lists. There are also many who  use lynx on institutional systems to
gather information. This is the point-of-entry stage, and I suspect
quite a  few may call local libraries, colleges and universities to
get limited access, not knowing how rich and varied Internet access
can be, but also wanting to find certain information.

As a volunteer with the Free-Net here  in Arizona, with some 20,000
members, I've encountered several blind folks by happenstance--and
my guess  is  that I've encountered maybe 1 to 2% of total users  on
this system alone. These are folks with information needs, but maybe
not the most active information consumers.
The vitality and ease of use of lynx helps to demystify the
process of getting on the Net for these folks.

Anyway, extrapolating from my  experience, I'd guess  the number to be
more like 3,000 as opposed to several hundred, butof course I can't prove
it '''

Better than a "marketing" approach, I would think, would be a look at
how effective lynx is for users of various systems, regardless of  number.
While you can'tmove mountains for one r two users, the numbers approach
could tend to (if not done carefully) de-value the very real information
needs of any valid minority  of users.
Thanks for listening,

--
Rick Lewis
The 90's: the decade where your employer could downsize your job.

;