Re: LYNX-DEV "Why Lynx?" blurb

From: BREDESEN
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV "Why Lynx?" blurb
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:47:36 -0400 (EDT)

>> 2. Would others please comment?
>
>i hope all the usual suspects do (smile).

Well, I'm not a usual suspect, nor an expert, nor blind, just am not rich-
so have bypassed adding my $0.02 on this topic until now. I am a _huge_ fan
of Lynx for VMS. Sure hope that support for VMS does not vanish now that
Fote has theoretically retired from Lynx. Glad to see his updates still
growing. I continue to use the major releases plus his mods.

Why do I love Lynx? Because I work for the gov't and they do not receive
enough funding to allow all of us to purchase new modern fast PC's with
graphics-capable web browsers.  I have most recently installed Lynx on our
VMS AXP host and use it lot there after logging in from my VT340+ dumb
terminal at work or after dialing in to the VMS host from home.  At a guess
99% of my web browsing consists of looking for text info to read or
download. And, it is _much much_ faster to use Lynx than to use Netscape
from my PC at work. (And, _much much much_ faster that using Microsoft's
Internet Explorer from home.) On the extremely rare occasions when I do
need the graphics part, I go visit a colleague who has Netscape and a
PostScript printer attached to his speedy PC.

Susan
-----
Susan C. Bredesen, VMS System Manager  EMAIL: address@hidden
USMAIL: Phillips Laboratory/GPSS,29 Randolph Road,Hanscom AFB,MA 01731-3010
VOICE:  617-377-3713, FAX: 617-377-3160
Save the Gutenberg Project! http://www.promo.net/pg/nl/pgny_nov96.html
;
;