LYNX-DEV how can I control automatic unpacking etc

From: Phillip Helbig
Subject: LYNX-DEV how can I control automatic unpacking etc
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:40:02 GMT

I just upgraded from a VAX with VMS 5.5-2 and LYNX 2.5 to an ALPHA with
VMS 7.1 and LYNX 2.7-1.  I basically installed things just as before,
but I now notice an annoying behaviour: when I download a file, for
example

   http://babbage.sissa.it/ps/astro-ph/9705172

which is gzipped PostScript, selecting the link causes it to be
compressed and it ends up with some odd file name in SYS$SCRATCH.  I now
understand that I should press `d' to download it (the behaviour before
when selecting the link); that's fine.

However, if I have no application defined (in .mailcap?) then is it
`correct' that the file is downloaded and gunzipped at all?  How can I
get a menu with options like `gunzip and launch ghostview', `gunzip and
print', `gunzip and save to a file'.  I can't use the generic download
window (I don't think) without having equivalent options for non-gzipped
files.

Basically, if I don't select `d' to download it as is, I would like to
be presented with an options menu of what to do with the file.  A single
.mailcap entry isn't enough.  Where is this documented?  Also, shouldn't
things in SYS$SCRATCH be deleted automatically?

Of course, with other file types for which an application can be
defined, the same questions apply.  I don't want to launch ghostview by
default and then print from there if I want to print the file.

Thanks.

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email ... address@hidden
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)

My opinions are not necessarily those of NRAL or the University of Manchester.

;
;