Re: privacy on unix [was: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update]

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: privacy on unix [was: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update]
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:13:57 -0500 (CDT)

You (Nelson Henry Eric) wrote:
> >     As far as "privacy" issues associated with the Unix /tmp
> > design are concerned, even systems which now have the "sticky bit"
> > feature typically don't use it.  I've yet to get on a Unix system
> > in which I couldn't read any file in the /tmp tree, and there was
> > no need for spoofing via links to do it. :) :)
>
> This is disturbing.  Just to be sure, you are talking about systems
> which have implemented neither the `sticky bit' nor subdirectories
> with write permission only to the owner?  Since installing Screen,
[snip]

Greetings. This probably happens on the former system because there
hasn't been some great incident to warrant the sysadmin to whip
the system into shape... and their policy doesn't cover it (yet). My
systems (my ISPs and my own) all have user-only access to /tmp files
and this spans SunOS, Linux, Solaris so NOT having this setup on
any system is IMHO just plain carelessness... Someday there will be
a lawsuit pending for this :-) "You're fired for owning "those"
pictures of little boys".... "but I though my files were private?"
"yeah, but we're an incompetant bunch of morons... duh duh duh"

YMMV :-)

Take care.
;
;