Re: LYNX-DEV Table support?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Table support?
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 18:54:13 -0400 (EDT)

970522 Peter Ruczunski wrote:
> I'm a new user of lynx, initially I started using it to try and get
> around the lousy speed of Netscrape on Sun boxes however I'm slowly
> becoming converted to its speed of use and general finger friendliness.

we all love the fan mail.

> The only thing which really bugs me about it is lack of table support.
> I can understand why, and I can understand the complexities involved
> in adding it.  However, someone has told me that there is a hack to
> support tables in lynx, is this true?

there's been lots & lots of discussion of tables in lynx-dev
& there are some things like  awk  scripts to extract usable tables
from HTML source files.  look thro' the lynx-dev archive.
goto  lynx.browser.org  to find that & search mechanisms.

> If not then what is the official position on table support
> (i.e. soon, later, never).

as a consortium of volunteers lynx-dev has no official positions,
but the consensus seems still to be somewhere between later & never-never.
there's a very basic problem for a 1-pass renderer.

> I also posted a suggestion (to the suggestions list) for a 'forward'
> button/operator.  I know there is the 'V' list but the ability to
> walk up and down the *entire* history list would be really useful
> and conform to how most browsers currently work.  Any thoughts?

not clear what you mean:  V  gives a full list of visited links.

;