Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Control-Z and SIGSTOP mysteries
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 21:37:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, 21 May 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > Can you get the screen back into a sane state by spawning a shell with
> > '!' and then returning?
>
> Dagnabit!  Wouldn't you know that it would decide to function properly
> before I even tried this?  Maybe it has something to do with the term
> setting... I normally use MS-Kermit in VT320 mode.  Right now I'm using
> CRT with VT220 mode...  Hmmm, I just tried TeraTerm with VT320 settings,
> and it worked... SO... either it's just deciding to be cool today or it's
> something with HP's curses and MS-Kermit (unlikely, but I'll check it
> later).  I just tried it on the 9.07 machine, and it works over there as
> well.  Even the old version (2.7 but fotemods about 2 days before 2.7.1)
> works!!!  ARGH!!!
>
> If it acts up again, I'll try using ! and get back to you.

Ok, I seem to have figured out the pattern.  It seems to be something
strange about the way that I'm connecting to the machine.  If I connect
via serial lines and a DECServer (all of out dial-up lines, in several of
our labs), then lynx will not redraw the screen properly.  Connection from
the DECServer is made using telnet (i.e. 'telnet host' from the Local>
prompt).  If I connect directly via telnet to the machine via a PPP
connection (using SLiRP and going through the SAME DECServer), then
suspending works properly.  I'm not sure WHY it behaves this way.  I
tested with TeraTerm in both serial(doesn't work) and TCP/IP modes(works).

Incidentally, pressing ! and returning to lynx does nothing when it messes
up. SIGH...

Any DECServer experts out that that know if something about the telnet
settings could be causing this?  Incidentally, other programs suspend and
resume fine.  Lynx works fine on SunOS (nyx) and Linux boxes on campus,
but none of the HP's... sigh!