Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Table support in lynx

From: Pete Ruczynski
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Table support in lynx
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:19:25 +0100 (BST)

> > The only thing which really bugs me about it is lack of table support.
>
> Perhaps what you mean is "lack of table support to the degree I want"?

Point taken, yes that's what I mean.  As I said I can understand the
difficulties involved but it would be nice to see things side by side
as intended,  I guess it would involve introducing sideways scrolling
which would be the biggest problem.

Anyway, you've probably had numerous discussions about this so I'll
shut up.  Can you point me to any relevant past articles?

> > I also noticed a suggestion to support the applet tag, is this in
> > the pipeline?
>
> It's doubtful much will be done with this.

Seems a shame, surely it should be fairly straight forward to add
support similar to the way that image support works, i.e. to run
appletviewer when invoked, you need a little more work to pick up the
parameter block but other than that it should be simple.

> One developer is working on
> a small subset of javascript for a personalized version of lynx.

Ugh javascript! why?  If they want any scripting for personal use then
tcl is by far the easiest option!

> > I also posted a suggestion (to the suggestions list) for a 'forward'
> > operator
>
> I've occasionally wanted this one myself.  But never badly enough to
> start hacking on the source code to get it.

I see what you mean, as I get used to lynx I see less need for this,
still it would be nice.

> >Another thought, anyone looked into adding a tcl/tk interpreter as
> >a compile time option?
>
> I assume what you mean here is 'has anyone thought of enhancing lynx
> to support client side scripting in Tcl.

Point taken again!  Yes, that's what I mean.

> Unfortunately, it would be a novelty at this time since there is so little
> code out there in Tcl to use.

If you mean client scripts then yes, otherwise you are most certainly
wrong.  There is tons of tcl out there.  It's just that the people who
use it, use it to do real things which achieve _useful results_ as
opposed to bouncing images around a box!

>  My desire would be to see some kind of
> language independant functionality added to HTML so that a user writing
> an HTML page could say:
>
> "Here comes some
> [Perl|Tcl|Scheme|Guile|LISP|JavaScript|AppleScript|VisualBasic|whatever]
> code that needs to execute in a safe environment."

To a certain extent this is already supported with the "language"
parameter of the script tag, but yes, support for more languages by
some of the common browsers would be cool.

There's nothing to stop you adding a <script language="tcl"> tag to
your page other than the lack of support by most browsers!
Making the language safe is another matter.

> _That_ would be nifty.

agreed.

Pete.
--