Re: LYNX-DEV New search engine for investors

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New search engine for investors
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 16:34:44 -0400

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

>   From: Matthew Kelly <address@hidden>
>
>   Every single person on the list should complain to the company involved
>   and to their provider (who by my traceroute is nya.net ... check for
>   yourself), and let them know what you think of the situation (never buy
>   from spammers).  They don't list a voice number for owlsnest.com is the
>   whois data but I'm going to call nya.net myself.
>
> That subjects the victims to a lot more effort than the
> perpetrators put into it.  On those rules of engagement, the
> agressors win.  Has anyone started accepting copies of spams with
> the purpose of building class-action lawsuits?  The victim needs
> a mailbox to forward the spam to.  Nothing more complicated.

My responses:

1. Do a whois, traceroute, and nslookup to find their host, and the
contact people for the ISP and NSP involved.

2. email and/or call and report the spammer (spam is cause for
cancellation on most nets).  I forward a copy and ask for a reply within a
fixed period of time.

3. Start on my T1 connection:

while (true) ; do echo "Please stop spamming" | mail \
address@hidden ; sleep (3) ; done

On a machine where my return address is address@hidden

4. Leave #3 run long enough (sometimes substituing cat /vmlinuz for the
echo) to insure that the system administrators get the message.

5. If I get no response, I submit what I can to the spam blacklists.

;
;