Re: remove

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
Subject: Re: remove
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 00:37:37 +0200 (MET DST)

[Al Gilman]

|     From address@hidden  Fri May 23 08:46:39 1997
|     Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:10:42 +0930 (CST)
|     From: E Powell <address@hidden>
|     To: Titanic fans <address@hidden>
|     Subject: LYNX-DEV RMS Titanic
|     Sender: address@hidden
|
|     Hello There,
|
|       Your name has been passed on to us as having an interest
|       in the RMS Titanic.
|
|   If you are sincere, you have been misled.  But you should not take
|   such third-party input and subscribe people to mail distribution
|   lists.

|   program.  You are either a spammer or the victim of a prank if
|   somethird party intentionally nominated this address for your
|   list.  Generally, you should not subscribe lists to lists without
|   manual coordination between the listowners.
|
|       This is just a courtesy letter to verify this
|       information, and if it is incorrect please reply to this message
|       with the words 'Please
|       Remove' in the subject line and we will remove your details from our
|       mailing list.
|
|   This suggests that you are a spammer.  The protocol you are
|   following is improper.  What you have written is a discourtesy
|   letter.  The subcriber should have to confirm to be subscribed,
|   not deny to be de-subscribed.
|
|   For a support group on list administration, consider subscribing
|   to address@hidden mailing list.  This is a
|   Majordomo- administered list, i.e. write to
|   address@hidden for subscription
|   instructions.
|
|   --
|   Al Gilman

[I include the whole message so that <helgesel> can see it.]

Speaking for Helge Selstø <address@hidden>, he's a student at the
University of Oslo, not an obscure name for an interest group about
the Titanic.

It seems like spammers no longer junk the "REMOVE" messages, they put
the names in a list to make realistic forgeries. I assume Evan Powell
is in the same boat.

Kjetil T. <address@hidden>