Re: LYNX-DEV how to sink RMS Titanic

From: Phil Helms
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV how to sink RMS Titanic
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 21:39:06 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Philip Webb wrote:

> my advice to lynx-dev has been "don't panic":
> there's no lack of expertise here to sink Cyberpromo
> if anyone thought them worth the time.

It might be worth it, depending on the bandwidth companies like this can
be expected to take up.  If a proliferation of Cyberpromo-like advertisers
arises, and if that proliferation, because of the sheer volume of its spam,
degrades Internet performance, then regulation will have to come into play.
If this happens, and if, as you have indicated, this is more of a US problem,
then US regulation alone should be able to control the problem.

Aside from regulation by law, if it were possible to mount a direct and
effective attack against culpable sites, even if such an action were legal,
there might still be the possibility of civil action against the attackers
from the spammers.

Actually, for now, we seem to have generated more traffic among ourselves
on this than the spam itself.  It's still pretty easy to delete this stuff.

 --
 Phil Helms                                  Internet: address@hidden
 Community College Computer Services                    Phone: 303/595-1524

;