Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:44:18 -0500 (EST)

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>      Today's update gets that working in the for-slang code almost
>> as efficiently as with VMS curses.  The Unix curses seems brain dead
>> compared to the VMS curses, and doesn't restore what was there before
>> when you do the delwin() followed by refresh() to retract the popup
>> window.  I had assumed that would work for Unix curses as for VMS
>umm.  I do remember VAX C curses handling of delwin as different in
>that respect - but while I was using VAX C curses, the release version
>was unusable (I patched mine) because it was unable to read single
>characters (only buffers ;-).  DEC fixed that in a later release, then
>broke it again.  (I assume they fixed it again shortly before you started
>development with Lynx).

        I'm not aware of any such bug, but that's ancient history, anyway.
DECC, which was initially developed for AXPen, has long ago replaced VAXC
on VAXen as well.

>-- when discussing Unix curses, it would be useful to know which version
>   you are talking about.

        Hiram had indicated that it didn't work with HP curses nor
ncurses(linux).  I confirmed that it didn't work with solaris curses.
I also checked it with the DECC for osf (so-called DEC Unix), and it
doesn't work with that either.  I think it's reasonable to infer that
this is not dependent on the "version" of Unix curses one is talking
about.

                                Fote