LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 14:27:18 -0500 (EST)

Thomas-Ivo Heinen <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>Hmm, I'm wondering if it's already possible to pass a URL via stdin to
>Lynx. It would be an interesting option to retrieve documents
>automatically:
>
>...... | lynx -stdin -dump > downfile
>
>(if the option was named "-stdin")
>
>Did I forget something, or is this a possibility to improve this great
>browser ?

        lynx URL -dump > downfile       #for rendered output
        lynx URL -source > downfile     #for unmodified source

are the easiest way, and only way on Unix, because the lone - for
receiving command line input for stdin doesn't work with > downfile.
but you should take the time to read about the lone - in the Lynx
Users Guide, anyway, so you'll know about it in other contexts.

        On VMS you can do:

        define/user sys$output downfile
        lynx "-"
        -dump
        URL
        ^Z

        I am CCing this to the address@hidden list.  Please use the
list, not private email, for questions and discussion about Lynx.  You
need not be subscribed to post messages, and you can read replies via:

        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

                                Fote