LYNX-DEV Makefile support 2

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: LYNX-DEV Makefile support 2
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:19:31 -0400 (EDT)

   Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

   After thinking over all of the comments I have received from the list on
this topic, I have decided to step back a little for a while. I have
originally started this discussion because Lynx didn't compile well on my
ISP's BSDI system, not because I wanted to start a flame war. The static
BSDI target is badly broken, and at that time the autoconfigure script was
too poor. But what has really pissed me off and made me start this debate
is that the initial versions of the script made references to BSDI,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, but not the 4.4 BSD UNIX itself, and I
thought that this lack of respect for pure BSD was going to proliferate in
the autoconfigure script.
   I haven't really made up my mind yet, since I haven't set up my pure BSD
system yet. The script works correctly on FreeBSD, but since FreeBSD is
deviationist in this case (Makefile includes), that doesn't convince me.
If, when I finally set up my pure BSD system, the script still works
correctly on it, I guess I'll have to confess that Lynx and its
autoconfigure script do respect fundamentalists after all. If, however, the
autoconfigure script fails to work correctly on my pure BSD system (which,
remember, won't contain a single GNU byte), I'll resume the debate with
full force.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 216-646-1864
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden

   P.S. Hiram Lester, Jr. <address@hidden> writes:
>please quit changing the subject by adding numbers and
>incrementing them.  It plays hell with trying to thread the messages by
>subject.
   On the contrary, numbering messages helps a lot in telling a new message
from an old one. On our system, messages to and from mailing lists
sometimes get duplicated, and if we didn't have a message numbering policy,
our E-mail threads would turn into spaghetti. I understand that you
probably use a user-friendly mail program, and it chooses the subject for
you automatically when you use the reply feature. However, not everyone
works that way. My mail program, for example, does nothing except saving
messages in numbered files and immediately deleting them. In order to
respond, I download them, get offline, write the response in Microsoft Word
v6.00 (Word, not WinWord), then get online again, and send it as a new
message. This also gives me an advantage of permanently saving all my mail,
both incoming and outgoing, and not in some E-mail "folders," but in normal
DOS files that I can view and manipulate directly from Norton Commander.
;
;