Re: LYNX-DEV Development code ac-28 comments

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Development code ac-28 comments
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:39:12 -0400 (EDT)

> screen=curses.  As I mentioned, on the Red Hat system this caused it to
> get to the point in the configure script: 'Seeing if -lcurses works...'.
the config.log should contain the pertinent error message.

> At which point it discovered that it didn't and quit.  On my slackware
> system, it got to the linking stage of the make and then pointed out all
> the unresolved references it had... :(
but if it's installed as the default, there's a symbolic link from libncurses.so
to libcurses.so (at least that's the compromise that's set in the configure
script).  I gather that's not the case (for whatever reason), so I ought to
workaround that.

> > I built against bsd4.4, ncurses 4.1, 1.9.9e, 1.9.4, 1.8.7, and slang.
> > (Again, I'd like the details so I can accommodate whatever you're
> > running into)
>
> Ok, what more details do you need?
the config.log from the run that failed, and the config.cache, plus whatever
environment variables you had to set.

> > > 3. I finally built a color-styles version after being dissatisfied with
> > > the above... and since I wanted to try it...  What can I say, but "Nifty!"
> > > This is definitely cool!
> > it is kind of cute (but it needs more work).
>
> It's more than cute.  It will be really nice when it's done. :)
right - but I've not seen anything from RP for a few weeks.  Right now
it's tied to ncurses (which isn't necessary, since SVr4 curses should work).

> > > 4. There should be a way to disable color and use the mono styles if the
> > > termcap says it's a color terminal, but it's really not.  I think the
> > it's doable (tin-unoff does this)
>
> This should be considered then.  That way if someone has to do a custom
will keep it in mind.

(a real vt220 doesn't do color either, though XFree86 xterm does ;-)

btw, are those "good" vt320 emulations? (I had an impression that VT320's
don't do ANSI color either, just some 4-color hack).

> I can't remember what the one on Linux did.  Real VT100's don't have color
> (never seen a real 100 or 102), but MANY emulators have color even when in
> vt100 mode, and ANSI emulation doesn't always work as well as VT emulation
> under unix.
right. some of those "ANSI" emulations are pretty bad.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden