Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Getting proxies to work
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:23:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> >If sysadmins installing lynx are concerned on behalf of their users,
> >it would be trivial to pop the argument processing code inside a
> >#ifdef COMMANDLINE_AUTH block and set it appropriately in userdefs.h
>
> Unfortunately, hard coding an id and password in the userdefs.h file is
> no solution either.  Perhaps what one could do is install a couple of
> small set uid or set gid programs which read the password from a protected
> file (protected by permissions or for more security encryption) which then
> uses the passwords without passing them in the clear.
>
> Security on any type of machine is not easy.  Security on a multi-user
> OS not written with protection in mind is a real bear.

I think you misunderstood the comment.  The patch enables a command line
switch which works either in conjunction with or in lieu of the current
-auth switch.

The comment about a symbol in userdefs was to turn this feature off
entirely similarly to the way that cookies or dired mode can be completely
disabled at compile time.