LYNX-DEV [Lynx-Win32]: Problem with international keyboard

From: Bernhard Muenzer
Subject: LYNX-DEV [Lynx-Win32]: Problem with international keyboard
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:45:58 +0100

This problem might be a peculiarity of the way direct console input is
interpreted by the Borland C compiler used to make the Win32 binary
distribution of Lynx 2.72.

I run the Win32 port of Lynx 2.71 in an NT box with a German keyboard layout
and the IBM PC codepage 850 cxharacter set.

Whenever I try to enter a non-alphanumeric character, the corresponding
character that occupies the same place on a US keyboard is selected instead.

For example, on the German keyboard, the characters above the number keys are
not
  address@hidden&*()
  1234567890
but
  !" $%&/()=
  1234567890
so when I want to type a slash, I get '&' instead.

Using Windows cut-and-paste from the clipboard does the same character
substitution, so I can't cut and paste an URL from a news article or an email.

This does not seem to be a peculiarity of the console window, since this type
of character substitution only occurs after invocation of Lynx (so I can
cut-and-paste an URL submitted to the command line).

On my German keyboard, the letters Z and Y are also exchanged (so it's a
QWERTZ keyboard), but the Y and Z letters get entered correctly.

A puzzled Lynx user

Bernhard Muenzer
--
int m,u,e=0;float l,_,I;main(){for(;1840-e;putchar((++e>912&&941>
e?60-m:u)["\n)address@hidden(rezneuM drahnreB"]))for(u=_=l=0;79-(m=e%