Re: LYNX-DEV error accessing ftp-pages

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV error accessing ftp-pages
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:53:46 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Doeringhoff Franz) wrote:
>Fote wrote:
>>address@hidden (Doeringhoff Franz) wrote:
>>>When I access some ftp pages with lynx (from VMS) and want to get a subpage
>>>I get the error ...file not found...check filename...
>>>If I do the same with netscape (from VMS) all went well.
>>>Example:
>>>     $ lynx ftp://ftp.hhs.dk/
>>>             -> subpage dcledit
>>>     $ lynx ftp://csvax1.ucc.ie/
>>>             -> subpage vms
>>Is something wrong with my installation of lynx?
>>
>>      Lynx works fine with those, for v2.3 through v2.7-1 and the
>>fotemods and development code.  If you have a version older than
>>v2.3, that's a pity beyond belief.  Otherwise, you need to provide
>>more information for anyone to guess what your problem might be.
>
>Thank's for your answer.
>I use LYNX Version 2.7.
>We use a IBM/AIX with a netscape proxy server. Iget the following error:
>                                     Error
>       ______________________________________________________________
>     The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.
>     Netscape Proxy is unable to find the file: /dcledit Check the file
>     name and try again.
>       ______________________________________________________________
>I you tell me I'll check for more information.

        You are not using the Lynx ftp gateway.  When you use a proxy
for ftp (or for any scheme), you send an http request to the proxy
with the actual URL as the path, e.g.:

        http://my.proxy.dom/ftp://ftp.hhs.dk/

for a listing of that VMS ftp server's top directory, or:

        http://my.proxy.dom/ftp://ftp.hhs.dk/dcledit

for a listing of its [.dcledit] subdirectory.

        The proxy does the actual ftp, and returns an HTML stream as if
it were the document for an http request.  That error message is coming
from the proxy, so it failed to get the listing, and returned that in
lieu of an HTML stream with a listing of the subdirectory.

        The Netscape proxy returns redirection for ftp URLs with a terminal
slash if you sent a request for a subdirectory without it, and Lynx through
v2.7-1 strips it, so that may be the problem.  It's also possible that the
proxy sends VMS ftp servers a lead slash ("/dcledit" as claimed in its
error message), instead of treating the path as a subdirectory off the login
directory, unless an explicit %2F was included for the slash.  You claimed
it worked with the Netscape client, so if it also is using that proxy, it's
probably related to the redirection.  If you can avoid using the Netscape
proxy for ftp, and instead use Lynx's own ftp gateway, you'll have no
problems with VMS ftp servers.  Otherwise, try the fotemods or development
code sets, which no longer strip terminal slashes in ftp URL redirects
from proxy servers.

                                Fote