Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >Lynx has a strange behaviour when the search string is the first or the
> >last word of a link. Go to
> >
> >http://www.cam.org/~ismael/links.html
> >
> >Search for "audio" and see what happens with the first and last character of
> >"audio" when it's the first or the last word, respectively, of a link.
>
>       The first and last characters of the link name always have the
> attributes of a current link when you make the link current,
> intentionally, as explained in the FOTEMODS file:
>
> 1997-06-12
> * Tweaks of the 1997-06-04 mods for restoring emphasis of WHEREIS search
>   targets in link names when they are changed to the current link or again
>   made non-current.  When the link is made current, the first and last
>   characters of the link name never are emphasized, so they'll retain the
>   attributes/color for the current link, and the user can see (if sighted)
>   that the link was made current.  [...]

Maybe with slang, color, etc. it's necessary but compiled with plain
"solaris2" and "freebsd-ncurses" and using a VT100 terminal emulator I see
no need for the first or the last characters of a link containing a search
string to be different of the other characters of the string. Let's see what
happens. VT100 can display text as plain, bold, reversed, underlined or a
mix of these. Links without any emphasis in the HTML appear as bold and the
current link as reversed, which makes a good contrast and makes easy to see
which is the current link. When you search a string it is displayed as
bold-reversed-underlined (underlined is hard to see when mixed with
reversed) which contrasts with the reversed of the rest of the link. When
that link becomes the current one the search string remains as
bold-reversed-underlined and the rest of the link becomes reversed. This
also gives a good contrast which makes easy to see which link is the current
one. This means that the way it is now doesn't make the current link to be
more visible. It doesn't bother me very much the way it is now, I just find
ugly the last or the first character of a search string on a link to have a
different rendition of the other characters of the string when the link is
made current.

> >Another "restore the emphasis" problem can be seen at
> >
> >http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0697/
> >
> >As you move cursor to another link the emphasis of the previous link is
> >lost.
>
>       I can't reproduce that on Scott's solaris or on VMS.  Perhaps you
> need to spell out more completely what you are doing to create the
> problem.

I'm doing nothing to create the problem. It's Lynx that creates it... ;-)

Let's see... When I first get Lynx-Dev at Flora on the screen the subjects
of messages are displayed as bold-underlined and when I make one of them the
current link it becomes reversed. When I move to the next link the previous
one becomes bold instead of bold-underlined. That's what mean by lost
emphasis. If I use ^L or go to the next page and go back to the previous
page the bold-underlined is restored.

Ismael

         | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | address@hidden              |
         | Montréal - Québec - Canada | http://www.cam.org/~ismael/ |

Let's see... When I first get Lynx-Dev at Flora on the  screen the subjects
of messages are displayed as bold-underlined and when I make one of them the
current link it becomes reversed. When I move to the next link the previous
one becomes bold instead of bold-underlined. That's what mean by lost
emphasis. If I use ^L or go to the next page and go back to the previous
page the bold-underlined is restored.

;
;