Re: LYNX-DEV reverse video

From: leaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV reverse video
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 21:09:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>       If you build Lynx without either FANCY_CURSES or USE_SLANG defined,
> then standout() is used for all links, and the cursor is forced to the
> beginning of the current link whether or not you have show_cursor set
> intentionally.  What standout() does depends on the curses package.
> It is not necessarily reverse.  The fotemods code works perfectly when
> I try it without either FANCES_CURSES or USE_SLANG defined on Scott's
> solaris, so I suspect you're again misrepresenting the fotemods code.
> Sigh...

Sigh to you too...
I haven't misrepresented anything, and even if I had, what I said
wasn't negative -- just a report on behaviors of different versions.
When you say "works perfectly", what you're really saying is that
fotemods behavior (which is the same as pre-fotemods behavior and has
nothing to do with fotemods per se) is correct when compiled without
slang/ncurses.
Fine.
The only reason I would like to change this is that low vision users
(myself included) can't see reverse video.  It's bad enough
trying to decipher the current link in reverse video.  If the other links
are not reversed, one can always move the current link somewhere else
long enough to read what it says.  When all links are reversed this doesn't
work, and makes lynx almost imposssible to use without doewnloading and
building it oneself.
It is true that SHOW_CURSOR is always on when slang and ncurses aren't used.
Anyway, this is probably low priority compared with other things, but
I have seen lots of mail from various people complaining about
all links being reversed in their ISP's version of lynx.
--le

;
;