LYNX-DEV Re: ssl patches

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: ssl patches
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:56:05 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>Thanks for sending the ssl patches.
>I've been having problems building ssleay 0.8.0.
>I follow the instructions in INSTALL and doc/rsaref.doc
>but when I build everything, ssleay doesn't link
>(undefined symbols).
>Maybe the rsaref.a I'm using is old(?)...
>I configured by typing
>       Configure -DRSAref -Lpath-to-librsaref.a -lrsaref gcc
>Do you know what I could be doing wrong?
>Also, is it really necessary to use rsaref.a?
>I have no understanding of the gov regulations, and get the
>impression no one else does either...
>If I build and run this without using rsaref am I violating a regulation?
>Thanks in advance.
>(I sent mail to tzeruch to get a copy of his stuff earlier today, but
>he hasn't replied.)

        Requests for the SSL patches, together with affirmation that you
are a US or Canadian citizen and will not violate any US Export Laws or
RSA patents, should be sent to me by private email, but please use the
lynx-dev list for discussion about them.

        The v0.8.0 SSLeay distribution is a major change in API, and
is too buggy for serious use.  For example, its crypo.c has a dangling
#endif which may or may not signal a missing #ifdef (I'm not sure yet).
Its ssl.c wants to include a pxy_ssl.c which isn't in the v0.8.0
distribution.  As Tom posted, you should continue to use a v0.6.n
version (there isn't a v0.7 :) with Lynx.  I've been playing with the
v0.8.0 library, and so there is code for it, but it's #ifdef'ed for
an OLD_SSL_LIB compilation symbol which you should define in the
Makefile (Unix) or libmakessl.com (VMS) for compiling and linking
with an v0.6.n library.

        You need to use the RSA stuff in the US.  Not using it is
violating it's patents, which would contradict your affirmation that
you won't.  This is all explained in the SSLeay documentation and
online FAQ, accessible via Subir's "Lynx links" collection.

                                Fote