Re: LYNX-DEV Re: ssl patches

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: ssl patches
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 14:40:15 -0400

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       The v0.8.0 SSLeay distribution is a major change in API, and
> is too buggy for serious use.  For example, its crypo.c has a dangling
> #endif which may or may not signal a missing #ifdef (I'm not sure yet).
> Its ssl.c wants to include a pxy_ssl.c which isn't in the v0.8.0
> distribution.  As Tom posted, you should continue to use a v0.6.n
> version (there isn't a v0.7 :) with Lynx.  I've been playing with the
> v0.8.0 library, and so there is code for it, but it's #ifdef'ed for
> an OLD_SSL_LIB compilation symbol which you should define in the
> Makefile (Unix) or libmakessl.com (VMS) for compiling and linking
> with an v0.6.n library.

Code releases are like frozen waffles, you should always throw the first
one away :).

The two problems you describe come from a problem with scripts used to
generate the master files for building monolithic crypto.o and ssl.o
objects, or for their method of building a shared library.  It also
probably applies to your current platform.  Removing the trailing #endif
and the #include <pxy_ssl.c> line lets things compile properly.

The only reason you might want to use 0.8.0 is to test SSLv3 support (and
v2 backdown).  As I hinted, I now have proxies that work under Linux (both
DEC alpha and x86!) using 0.8.0 and I will email them under the same terms
(to US or Canadian citizens, don't violate RSA's patents, etc.).

;
;