Re: LYNX-DEV Ultrix cc errors again

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Ultrix cc errors again
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 23:44:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I'm reluctant to add stuff to the fotemods code set if I don't
> understand it, as I don't in this case.

Sorry to say, neither do I.

> What is -G and what do it's values do?

This is from the manpage:

     -Gnum             Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of a data item
                       that is to be accessed from the global pointer.
The
                       num argument is interpreted as a decimal number.
If
                       num is zero, data is not accessed from the global
                       pointer.  The default value for num is 8 bytes.

When I tried to link lynx without the -G 7, it said the best is to use -G
7, and that this advice is valid if -G 8 was used, which was the case,
because -G 8 is the default. I don't know anything more about it.

> The ultrix target has -Olimit 600, which is osf's default,
> and the latter had to be increased substantially to get the choker
> modules optimized.  Could this be related, and could increasing the
> -Olimit values to those for osf help?

I don't think so, because it's related to the optimizer, which is
different program (uopt). Adding -Olimit 1000 or so may help to optimize
all the long modules, and would be appreciated, but larger values are
dangerous, because the optimizer eats much more memory with large Olimit.
BTW, if you are going to add this, please add it to both the top-level
Makefile and to the WWW/Library/decstation/Makefile. This goes especially
for the -G 7, because with the WWW library compiled without -G and the
rest of lynx with -G 7 it produced the same error as without -G at all.

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;