Re: LYNX-DEV Problem posting to news

From: Jonathan Kapleau
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problem posting to news
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 15:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> Thanks for the follow up info.
>
> The good news it that this bug doesn't show up in my configuration so here
> are somethings to try to fix the problem.
>
> 1. Fetch lynx 2.7.1 source if you don't already have it - I believe
> you indicated you did have it.
> 2. Fetch the fotemods.zip file that is mentioned here regularly.
> 3. Merge the mods into the source directory.

Did all of the above as you suggested.

> 4. Configure lynx again just as you did before - with one difference.
> Don't use -s, but -g instead, for your compilation.

The version of make I'm using doesn't support a -g option.  Here is the
pertinant info on make:

GNU Make version 3.74, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

> 5. Make the lynx and try this:
>
> lynx news:misc.test
>
> 6. Then do a ^T to activate the trace operation before selecting the
> post to news option.
>
> 7. Step thru the filling out of the test msg again.
>
> 8. Now, assuming that the bug is still present, you have a Lynx.trace file
> containing what Lynx was doing at the time of the crash, AND, you have
> a core dump that should be usable.

The bug still seems to be present, but different now.  I select post to
news.  It asks me for my name (same as before) and asks me for a subject
(also the same), but now instead of crashing the cursor moves to the
bottom of the screen and sits there.  I input characters to the screen,
but not exit via "." on an empty line.  The only way to escape is via a
^C.  As such, it isn't dumping the core.  However, I do have the trace
file.  Here it is:

                Lynx Trace Log

LYpush: address:news:misc.test
        title:Newsgroup misc.test
LYGetFile: getting newspost://news/misc.test

HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:
HTParse: result:news
HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:
HTParse: result:
Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
Anchor 0x8124c08 with address `newspost://news/misc.test' already exists.
HTAccess: loading document newspost://news/misc.test
HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:file:
HTParse: result:newspost
HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:
HTParse: result:news
HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:
HTParse: result:newspost
HTNews: Looking for newspost://news/misc.test
HTParse: aName:newspost://news/misc.test   relatedName:
HTParse: result:news

> 9. Type
> gdb lynx core
> and do a where command to get the stack trace.
>
> 10. Pass along the last 10 lines or so of the trace and the stack trace
> to us to let us know what you see.

Well, I hope this helps some.

Jonathan Kapleau
address@hidden