LYNX-DEV image downloading with Lynx Win32

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: LYNX-DEV image downloading with Lynx Win32
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 13:45:05 -0600

I had my Lynx Win32 version set up to download and display images, but have
noticed that jpeg images are failing. I have Paint Shop Pro 4.12 set up to
view them, but it gives me an error saying that the file type is not
recognized. I have noticed that while trying to view a file with a .jpg
extension via lynx, lynx is starting Paint Shop up with this command line:

  C:\PROGRA~1\PAINTS~1\PSP.EXE c:\TEMP/L-4951390TMP.jpeg

There are two things suspicious about this. The first is the use of a forward
slash ("/") in the path for the image temp file, and the second is the use of
jpeg instead of jpg for the extension.

The exact error is:

   The file type is unknown

when Paint Shop starts.

Ah, further investigation demonstrates that the forward slash is not the
problem, but the jpeg extension is. Why are we getting a different extension
than the downloaded file here? Is it coming from the mime type stuff? Other
than telling Paint Shop that jpeg denotes the same file type as jpg, how can
I fix this.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,