Re: LYNX-DEV SSL export license

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL export license
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 20:48:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, David Woolley wrote:
> > Talking about FSF, what would it require to put lynx on prep.ai.mit.edu?
> > Does lynx have to be (C) FSF, or is it enough when it's distributed under
> > the terms of GPL and the copyright is held by the authors?
> FSF copyright isn't needed (they carry Berkeley copyright stuff, and
> several other third party programs).  What I think they do require is that
> the intellectual property rights situation is watertight, which probably
> means tracking down all the copyright owners and getting them to confirm
> their permissions.  In the past, they have also said that they really
> need an identifiable legal entity which could realistically take legal
> action for breach of copyright, to pose some deterrent to the more
> scrupulous businesses that might want to breach the licence.  (At the time,
> I think the Lynx copyright statement failed to identify the copyright owner.)

Lynx has been on at least two succesive GNU CDROMs (I have it on the
July 1996 edition).  A lynx-README file has been on prep.ai.mit.edu for
some time, and a copy of an older ftp archive is there as well.

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
You realise this is going to be a complete waste of time don't you?

;
;