Re: LYNX-DEV doslynx386 and greek

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV doslynx386 and greek
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:36:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Eric Berenguier wrote:

> I want to display greek html pages (iso-8859-7 encoded) with doslynx 386
> on ms-dos. I've tried different character sets in doslynx option menu with
> codepages 737 and 869 and i got some funny garbages that are not really
> greek :)

Most of the non-latin pages don't announce the charset the document is in,
and according to the RFCs such document should be treated as ISO-8859-1.
Lynx does so. If you want to override this, use the -assume_charset
iso-8859-7 command line flag or ASSUME_CHARSET:iso-8859-7 in your
lynx.cfg.  And set your Display Character Set in the Options menu to.. oh
no, the table for CP-737 or 869 isn't in current lynx code - yet.

You have to wait until the greek codepage is there, or, if your want to
contribute to lynx, write the table yourself. It isn't that hard, I can
give you the guidelines.. Mail me personally if you are interested.

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;