Draft CERT bulletin (was Re: LYNX-DEV security.html)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Draft CERT bulletin (was Re: LYNX-DEV security.html)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Jonathan Sergent wrote:

> Fote's version is better than the one at the URL I posted earlier,
> so I'm getting rid of that one.  Subir should probably pick a
> copy of it up.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions as to what email address should be
> listed at the bottom?  It seems like LYNX-DEV would be appropriate
> but we don't want security info going into the bit bucket for non-
> subscribers.

Yes, use lynx-dev...  I've reformatted the above html a bit so it can be
distributed as text CERT bulletins.  Please review the *two* parts below
before I pass them on to CERT (I've appointed myself go-between :0)

I. Description

Lynx will follow symlinks in /tmp when opening temp files.  All systems that
support symlinks are vulnerable.

Installed versions of Lynx where the /tmp directory is used to store files
during download are vulnerable.  The filename Lynx chooses can be predicted,
and another user on the system may be able to exploit a race condition to
replace the temporary file with a symbolic link (or any other file).

II. Impact

A malicious user with access to the same machine as other Lynx users may be
able to cause another user's Lynx process to overwrite another file on the
system (in the user's home directory, for example). The file overwritten
could potentially be one containing important information or a file such as
.rhosts (if the file being downloaded was rigged correctly, the attacker
could log in to the account without a password) or .profile (causing possibly
dangerous commands to be executed by the user when he/she next logs in).

III. Workaround

Sites which are concerned with this problem are advised to change the setting
of TEMP_SPACE from the default ("/tmp") to "~" to cause temporary files to
be put in the user's home directory. This may cause problems for users with
unwriteable home directories (such as captive or public accounts) or users
with low quotas. This may be done in two ways:

1. Lynx can be rebuilt with the "#define TEMP_SPACE" in
   lynx2-7-1/userdefs.h changed from "/tmp" to "~".

2. The LYNX_TEMP_SPACE environment variable may be set before
   shell startup files (.profile, .cshrc, or equivalent) or into
   the system profile (/etc/profile or equivalent).

Individual users may also set the LYNX_TEMP_SPACE environment variable to
point to another place known to be unwriteable by other users (for instance
a subdirectory of the users' home directory, or a mode 0700 directory of a
"sticky" /tmp).

Solution

The next release of Lynx will contain a permanent (and complete) fix to this
problem.