Re: LYNX-DEV How to implement "tables" in v2.7.1

From: Alex Lyons A32/373-Winfrith Tel2368 FAX2508
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to implement "tables" in v2.7.1
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 97 11:04:24 BST

Carl Dickhaus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Others on campus tell me we need a lynx that is setup with a "table"
> capability to get this horizontal display.

Hard luck!  Lynx currently performs a minimalist table rendition,
converting each cell as a separate line of output.  This ensures that
table content is not lost, but format is.  Full table format support in
lynx is a long way off (unless you or any of your colleagues fancy a nice
little coding project...).  There are various perl or C utilities available
to convert tables to <pre> blocks with varying degrees of reliability,
see the section TABLES in http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx/patches.html .

However, I suggest that the simplest approach, if you wish to support
lynx at your campus, would be to avoid using tables wherever possible,
and use <pre> blocks instead.  Other text-level HTML markup, and anchors,
can be used inside such blocks, and the layout should then be the same
whatever browser you use.  This would certainly be my advice for the
example you give.

Alex Lyons.
;
;