LYNX-DEV Forcing download

From: Giancarlo Cairella
Subject: LYNX-DEV Forcing download
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:53:15 +0200 (MET DST)

I'm using lynx 2.7 under linux (2.0.30 kernel) and I'm experiencing a
frustrating situation. I have to get a huge file (20Mb) from a http
server. This is a gzipped tar archive (let's call it file.tar.gz)

If I do a

lynx www.server.com/file.tar.gz

the file gets downloaded as text and can't be uncompressed when the
transfer's complete. I know because a

lynx -head www.server.com/file.tar.gz

shows that the file is send with a Content: text/plain header.

How can I force lynx to download the file as binary instead of loading it?

I've tried forcing it by adding any of the following:

SUFFIX:.gz:application/octet-stream
SUFFIX:.tar:application/octet-stream
SUFFIX:.tar.gz:application/octet-stream

etc.

The damned thing keeps getting fetched as a text file.

Ciao,
G.C.