Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: Michael Talbot-Wilson
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:53:39 +0930

In message <address@hidden> you write:

> > being new to Lynx, I am a bit confused with the 3 versions, normal.
> > curses & slang; can somebody tell me what is the difference between them?
> It's in the top-level files (readme/configure stuff).  Briefly (again ;-),
>
>       normal
>               is whatever is installed as "curses"; usually this is the
>               vendor's curses if you're building on something like Solaris,
>               it may be bsd 4.4 curses if you're installing on Linux.
>               is the standard name for the screen package.
>
>       ncurses
>               is a clone of SVr4 (e.g., Solaris) curses.  There's an option
>               to configure by that name since it may not be installed as
>               "curses".  SVr4 curses is basically the standard on platforms
>               that you buy, rather than build.

Um.. ncurses is pretty standard on Linux.

>       slang
>               is a screen package that (for our purposes) emulates bits &
>               pieces of bsd curses with parts borrowed from some flavors
>               of System V curses.  (There's some advantages in it, but
>               since it does not follow any standard, it's best classified
>               as experimental).

Probably the advantages are what the person who made the enquiry was
actually interested in.  Slang seems to allow more flexible colour
configuration, and more colour options.  There is run-time interpretation
of colour specifications in the config file.

I think there are knowledgeable LYNX-DEV list members who could tell you
a lot more.  E.g. the "lang" part suggests a high-level API.

-- Mike
;
;