Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:54:18 -0400 (EDT)

> I've been fooling with Lynx on OS/2, culminating with an ncurses-based
> port of Lynx 2-7-1.  I've been pondering the idea of using slang
> instead, but I don't know how slang does screen management on OS/2.
> Does it do direct VIO calls (like PDCurses does) or does it send ANSI
> sequences (like ncurses or like EMX BSD curses)?  With ncurses I'm
> having to send a complete set of terminfo files with every Lynx
> distribution, since OS/2 users can be assumed not to have them;
ncurses can be compiled with a fallback (internal) database.
I've added a configure option (for Unix, of course) that makes it
more visible/simpler to use.

> anything that gets rid of that would be welcomed.  Ncurses on OS/2
> also ignores the user's screen size (it always follows the values for
> rows and cols in the terminfo file).  The reason I'm using ncurses is
> that I need something that _doesn't_ do direct VIO calls so that it
> will work in an xterm under XFree86-OS/2 (and EMX curses doesn't cut
> it).  Would I find slang useful?
I assumed that the ncurses port to OS/2 was an EMX-based one also (I've
not been able to connect to the site that is supposed to have it, so don't
know more than that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden