Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:31:33 -0400

On 11 Jul 1997 15:14:12 -0600, address@hidden (Jason F. McBrayer) said:
>I've been fooling with Lynx on OS/2, culminating with an ncurses-based
>port of Lynx 2-7-1.  I've been pondering the idea of using slang
>instead, but I don't know how slang does screen management on OS/2.
>Does it do direct VIO calls (like PDCurses does) or does it send ANSI
>sequences (like ncurses or like EMX BSD curses)?  With ncurses I'm

 It uses VIO.  See slang/src/slvideo.c for the actual code.

>rows and cols in the terminfo file).  The reason I'm using ncurses is
>that I need something that _doesn't_ do direct VIO calls so that it
>will work in an xterm under XFree86-OS/2 (and EMX curses doesn't cut
>it).  Would I find slang useful?

 So, it sounds like you want something that sends escape sequences to
the display rather than making VIO calls.  But you do not want to
distribute terminfo files.  The good news is that you can do this with
slang since slang knows about xterm and vt100 and falls back on this
knowledge if it cannot find terminfo files.  However, this code is in
sldisply.c and does not get compiled under OS/2.  However, it should
be fairly trivial to make that change.  So, I suggest that if you want
to try this, change the OS/2 makefile to compile sldisply.c instead of
slvideo.c.

--John

;
;