Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:21:17 +0900 (JST)

> U raised an extremely intersting point... I assume U r talking about
> changes at "sig.net" vis-a-vis the "spam" issue... [ R there changes???]

First, and above all, sig.net is our gracious host.  Let us not
forget the FACT that the hardware and man hours are being _donated_
to the lynx-dev community.  Thank you Bob and all the people at sig.net.

> There has to be a better way then the "systematic blocking" of e-mail...
[...]
> In my book the greatest defense/insult to spam is the D)elete function!

I have found `procmail' to be _100%_ effective in funneling spam out of
my mail box.  I am still not confident enough to divert to /dev/null,
but for the purposes of the lynx-dev community there should be no problem
to diverting it.  The key is to having an up-to-date database of rules.
There are at least two to three of these antispam databases available
on the net.  From downloading `procmail' and the database, to building
the binary and then configuring might take one-half day or more depending
on your skills and available time.  I would recommend sig.net to set up
a global (not just lynx-dev) antispam filter as a way to save disk space.

I tend to agree that lynx-dev should be an open list, but it was a relief
to only have 600kB of mail for June (usually there is four times that!).
ANYONE can subscribe to lynx-dev.  Non-subscribers often do not consider
the burden they are putting on subscribers.

The ultimate decision I hope will be made by sig.net.  I hope lynx-dev
will not become overbearing.  However, if the list remains closed as
it now is, it needs to be advertised as such.  Klaus' suggestion to
send a message to posters who are not subscribed, perhaps even with
information on how to subscribe, would seem to be a nice courtesy.

Now even I've joined the spam movement.  Time to shut up.

__Henry
;
;