Re: webwatch-l http://www.readersdigest.com

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: webwatch-l http://www.readersdigest.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:18:40 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Trevor Astrope said:

> I get the same error as Rick using Lynx 2.7.1. I get an alert message that
> says, "unsupported url scheme." The url I get redirected to is one of
> those long strange ones with lots of @ symbols and what not. I'm not sure
> what server generates them but I come across them from time to time.
>
> After the alert it says "can't read start file, not html or plaint text."

I think I begin to understand the difference in error messages.
Did you give Lynx the Readers Digest URL on the command line as
the place to start?  The latter message is what Lynx says when it
gives up on trying to start.

I always start lynx first and use g)o because that way my session
stays alive and I have some history to work with.  I even make
sure I have STARTFILE set to a local file so I am not dependent
on the network working to have a running Lynx session.

The "unsupported URL scheme" error still suggests that the server
is trying to give a relative URL where an absolute URL is
required by the letter of HTTP.  The URL scheme intended is
almost certainly http: so I still suspect that the actual error
is how the intended new starting point is expressed in the
HTTP 302 reply to the first request.

I would be interested in what you got for the redirection URL in
2.7.1.  The part about the URL having at-signs and things in it
may be indicative of inadequate encoding of the URL, but that is
a different matter from an unsupported scheme.  If Lynx thinks
that some off-the-wall scheme has been referenced, there was a
lack of communication from server to Lynx of the intended http:
URL.  If the server redirects to an URL starting with slash,
they probably want http://path.to.node stuck on the front before
the slash as if it were a relative URL inside a document.

--
Al