LYNX-DEV Re: webwatch-l http://www.readersdigest.com

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: webwatch-l http://www.readersdigest.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

Rick,

I pointed my Lynx 2.7 at http://www.readersdigest.com via a g)o
command.  I got a different error.  This was displayed as a
"Unexpected network error."  So I, too, never got to page 1.
Re-running the attempt with tracing on did indicate the source of
my problem, and perhaps yours.  An extract of the trace log is at
the end of this message.

What I infer from the trace is that you are running some version
of Lynx that is older than 2.7 and which does not handle the HTTP
302 message type.  That could give a "bad message" indication.
The trace indicates that the Readers Digest server is returning a
302 message to redirect, probably to a CGI-interfaced function.
The problem that 2.7 experiences has to do with the way the new
URL is represented in the redirection message.

I am copying this to the lynx-dev list because once I start
discussing abuse of URL fragments in redirects I am definitely in
over my depth.  There may be post-2.7 code to handle the HTTP
error that the Readers Digest server is creating.

--
Al Gilman

extract of trace log:
----------------------------------
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP: WRITE delivered OK
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP: Trying to read 1023
HTTP: Read 207
Read 207 bytes of data.
HTTP: Rx: HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
HTTP: Scanned 2 fields from line_buffer
--- Talking HTTP1.

HTTP: Picked up location '/*TEMPLATE=:address@hidden'
HTAccess:  status=29996